Mallmore House is an unusual example of middle-class Georgian building. It was built in 1789 for James D’Arcy. The house is of a stone construction, with walls over a meter thick and spacious well proportioned rooms with fine high ceilings
The original owners of Mallmore House were the D’Arcy family, owners of the land, on both sides of the bay. They had the idea to build a town to give the local population a chance of employment, so Clifden was born. Mallmore then belonged to His Excellency the Lord Bishop of Tuam, a colourful character with lots of “history” and an avid amateur tree surgeon in his spare time! This was just the beginning of a line of interesting people to inhabit this wonderful house. Mallmore House today recaptures the warmth and spirit of times past. Simultaneously, the house reflects the peace and quiet of country house living and the practical comforts and conveniences of twenty-first century accommodation.
Hosts: Alan, Kathleen and Family
For comfort and charm, personal attention with respect for privacy, come be our guests at Mallmore House.